Thursday, July 9, 2009

I am alive!!!

Korean Air is the best airline ever!! I flew on a two story plan (whatever you call those planes) It was so massive! I had two seats to myself and watched like 8 movies on the flight....I arrived and went through customs and everything was easy following. I was picked up by a crazy driver that almost crashed into other cars at every turn. He was nuts....Korean people can not drive....lol...skip forward until today because I can't remember anything.

First Full Day
I have no internet at home but I do at work! I will get it....soon hopefully! I am at my school right now and have internet access! I will be sitting here all day because I can' t not teach for a week! Due to Swine Flu!

My apartment is nice and I have a Canadian neighbor~! She reminds of Maura's sister Lydia, but with dark hair! I was kind of in culture shock yesterday! Maybe the 28 hours of no sleep and then only getting 4 hours of sleep! It was a lot to take in yesterday! The culture here is sooo different! But my Canadian friend just arrived last week and she is really nice!!

My apartment building is sooo safe....it is a 7 (or so) story building and only the 4th floor is residential. the other floors are business. There is a security pass-code to get on the floor and then a pass-code to get in my room. I have not met the other people on my floor but will hopefully soon.

My bathroom smells and I must find Lysol to kill the bacteria!!!!!!!! The temp. is same as Houston! OHHH...So I have to hike the biggest Mountain to get to school!!! I came in and I was soooo sweaty...boo... Alexis invited me to go MudFest...where people play in mud this mud is suppose to cure you...so people get dirty and drunk there!

Korea is nothing Like I expected....the students are really sweet and giggly and they seem nice....the co-teacher is really super nice! They took me to a dinner buffet and I was not hungry but had to eat...I tried everything and it was good...I was so tried all I could think about was sleep until I went home and then I couldn't fall asleep. My principal seems real stern so I must stay on his good side!

My principal doesn't speak an ounce of English so my co-teacher translates...that is tough....He just came in and taught me to say SA RANG HAP NI DA--which means I love you....awkward....apparently he yells at the students and then tells them that...but I don't know if he wanted me to say that to him because it seems common for younger people to say it to olders....it doesn't make any sense yet...by the way my principal is like 75 years old.

I had the school newspaper come up and interview me and take pictures and they asked who my favorite musician is and I told them Mozart....they run away laughing....middle school girls. They then came back like 5 or 6 times and asked me other random questions and ran off giggling...it was kind of entertaining.

Disclaimer---This blog probably has lots of errors because I am using a Korean Keyboard and don't want to go back and fix mistakes...

4 comments:

  1. Matthew Weaver i miss you!!!! It sounds pretty sweet . . . i hope you are having fun and i cannot wait to get to see you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay mattiepoo!!!! that sounds soooo exciting! please keep up with this!!! i don't wanna miss out on ANYTHING you're doing over there! miss you so much, friend!! praying for you!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,
    Sounds like things are pretty exciting over there. Oh, hey, we know someone who kept a blog while teaching English in Japan, and then one day, after months and months, the blog was gone! Ooooh, mystery! Turns out that his Japanese bosses at the English school found his blog, and this guy had written some unflattering things about the boss, the co-workers, the school, and the city. He got in major trouble.
    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!!! hahahah!!

    ReplyDelete