Disclaimer- My brain hurts...I am sick of thinking....so read this blog at your own risk....
I really love Korea! Culturally shocking at times but a fun ride... so far.
I had my medical check up and boy are the hospitals completely different. The hospital had about 7 different stations. Each station checked something different...1st station you pay for your check up. 2nd station they get your weight/height. 3rd station was an eye station. 4th station was ear check. 5th station was x-ray. 6th station was medical history station and 7th station was blood and urine station. It was crazy fast...I was in and out of the hospital in 15 minutes....No lines.. everyone just went from station to station...it was so fast and impressive.
After my medical check up, my school had a dinner party for me. It was awesome!! We went to a Korean restaurant and of course I made a fool of my self...like I do.
I try so hard...yet feel so stupid at times. So we sit on the floor Indian style (yes I know we are not suppose to use that word anymore because it is racist to Indian's...but I have Indian blood in me...so who cares) so I sat Indian style for almost 1 hour and half...speaking of uncomfortable...my legs kept falling asleep...
and the fun begins...Korea is different then the states because it is expected for peers to go out and drink with the boss....by drink I mean get plastered ....they keep filling my shot glass with a Korean liquor Soju...it was never ending. My principal passed out soju shots to everyone and never stopped....
My first shot...so my principal points at me to pick up my shot glass...so I picked it up with my left hand and I heard someone gasp...I almost peed myself...seriously. I looked at my co-teacher and he said only use your right hand....awkward turtle...but I am new ...so I didn't know any better...so I set it down and used my right hand but then I didn't know that you must also place your left hand under your right hand.....boy who makes these rules...I need Korean for Dummies...but it was ok because I am American...I hate that...I want to know everything right now....
So the dinner continues...I can barely use my chop sticks...and everyone is watching me...you know the look (oh, I feel so bad for this guy look at him)...I am getting pretty tipsy but don't want to be rude by not drinking....and as the night goes on my chop sticks skills become worse....My principal tells me to pick up a piece of lettuce and so I do...then he tells me to grab some meat... using my chop sticks which was so hard..and then motions to pick up more stuff which was even harder to pick up.....the stuff kept falling off my chopsticks...I am so white....I finally get everything on my lettuce wrap....
Then he points at my shot glass so he can fill it up with more soju....I sit down my lettuce wrap...so I can properly hold my shot glass...and I hear the table gasp...oh crap...I can't do anything right..apparently I shouldn't of put my lettuce wrap down.... he pours my shot and when I went to pick up my lettuce wrap....it all went tumbling in my lap....the whole table gasped again....I felt so stupid...but then everyone started to laugh...the principal...who was ready for his soju decided he would just use his chopsticks and fill my lettuce wrap back up...Thank God....because I already embarrassed myself enough...so we took the shot and he started stuffing this huge piece of lettuce wrap into his mouth...I thought...oh crap..I have to do this...so I crammed this huge lettuce wrap in my mouth...it was quite entertaining...everyone started clapping and I felt like I just accomplished something huge...
Well anyways after that my face starts to turn bright red...like it does...and everyone is staring...I felt so awkward because when I have anything to drink or get embarrassed I turn red...so after 5 minutes of sitting feeling awkward my co-teacher explains...that in Korean culture if someone turns red...it means they are a very trusting/honest person....I felt so relieved finally my annoying red face pays off.!!!! It was awesome because after the red face everyone seemed to start liking me more.
On the way out my co-teacher says "ok you know where you live from here?"..as he pointed in the direction...I said yes..not having a clue....I just started to walk away because I didn't want to be even more awkward and not have a clue of where I lived...so I walked the streets for awhile and eventually found something familiar....I was a little intoxicated thanks to my principal...and don't know how I made it home....just kidding mom...but really everyone else....it happened...I love Korea
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hahaha red face means you're honest and trustworthy? yikes hahaha.
ReplyDeletegood story! lol. :) I'm glad you're having such a good time! good luck with the chopsticks!! bahahaha
Matt, I'm so proud of you! You are doing great over there!!!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
ReplyDeleteSo what happens....if your face can't turn red....hahahaha!!
ReplyDeleteI would be so nervous all the time!!!
What happens if you are left handed???? Are you?? AHHH!! i can't rmr...lol