Wednesday, February 10, 2010

White people don't do that.

This morning I’m am sitting peacefully at my desk when all of a sudden my co-worker comes frantically over and TELLS me to come shovel snow. I laugh in her face and say "That’s funny." I thought she was just kidding because I give her a hard time about stuff but she wasn't joking around. She said, “Come on let’s go.” Like it would be pleasurable or some sort of game. I knew that tone of voice I’ve been tricked way to many times. I laughed some more and said "I don't do that; you need to go hire some poor people or janitors or something.” She replied “Come on let’s go.” I knew she didn’t understand anything I was saying. I laughed some more and replied in a slow voice “I’m seriously not doing that.” She tried to explain it was our duty as Korean teachers. I replied with “I’m not Korean; I’m the native English speaker.” I love messing around with this particular co-worker because she is my age and basically the same position as me. After joking around for a couple minutes I explained that I’ve been sick all week and flying to Thailand on Saturday. I refused to go outside and sweat and freeze my ass off, I am not getting sick again. I was kind of shocked that I would be asked to shovel snow. I know it’s the Korean way but I’m not Korean. Yes, I live in Korea and I respect the Korean way but I am definitely not shoveling snow. If I wasn’t sick I probably still wouldn’t shovel snow because I would get hot and sweaty and then that sweat would freeze my balls together. I want kids someday. Plus, I’m wearing nice clothes and I’m not going be known as the smelly American teacher. Today the students graduate middle school and our principal wants the school to look nice. I understand that just don’t come knocking on my door. I’m the only minority in the school! I probably sound like a whinny bitch but I don't care. Minority power!

1 comment:

  1. White people do shovel snow. Over half the population of Canada is white...we all do it. It's not the KOREAN way, it's just what you do in the winter. If it's not shoveled it piles up and believe me it's much worse to shovel after it's built up a couple feet high.

    ReplyDelete